Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Please Help Us In Retail !!!

About an hour before writing this post I went to a local supermarket deli counter to buy a couple slices of thick turkey breast for lunch. I planned to bring it back to my office and put them in the microwave and have a healthy lunch (for once). I asked the young man who was behind the deli counter for 2 slices about 3/8" thick which I thought would be about a half pound. He said he didn't know what 3/8" was so I told him between 1/4" and 1/2" or so. He then said, "Man I don't do fractions" and I had to show him with my fingers the approx thickness.

He was very polite and courteous but I am always amazed at what young people don't learn in school anymore. Isn't good customer service being able to know the basics in math or am I just being old-fashioned? Does anyone test the people they put on the front lines to assist customers and teach them what they don't know and should know? If you want customers and clients to respect and return to your business give them a person to help them that has a basic school education. Interview with care, especially your front line people.

Barry is business and franchise coach who has 6 published books on starting and growing your business. www.idealetter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment