Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Customer Service Case Study: Don't Need My Business?

During a visit to a large national office supply store a few years back, I was trying to find a ribbon for our typewriter which we use occaisionally. I had not purchased this item before so I wasn't sure where to find it in the store. I asked someone stocking a shelf in the copy paper section if they could help me. He said he didn't know where it was but would call someone else.

The loudspeaker announced my situation and I was told told to stand in the center aisle and wait. After a few minutes, which seems like a long time when you're just standing there, I decided to leave. I would just go back to my office, order from a catalog and wait the extra day. As I was leaving I noticed about 5 people waiting in line to check out and only one cashier. There were about 10 other employees working or just standing around talking but only one checkout open. I was happy to get out of there and have not gone back since. I guess they had already made enough money that day!

More customer service case studies in chapter 16 of my book "90 Days to Success as a Small Business Owner"

No comments:

Post a Comment