Monday, September 19, 2011

Customer Service Case Study: How Many Hours?

The sign on the building said One-Hour Cleaners and I needed a pair of wrinkled slacks cleaned & pressed to wear to a dinner that evening. It was only 1 PM and I went in the cleaners and asked if I could pick up the slacks at about 4 PM (3 hours not 1). I was told I could not get them back until tomorrow which was too late for me to wear that evening. When I mentioned the one-hour sign I was told that it was only the store name and not how they do things. The person was actually a little rude because she had probably heard it before.

I took the slacks to another cleaners and got them back in time for the dinner. I have since given that second cleaners thousands of dollars in business that the first one didn't even consider. Don't try to deceive your customer or make them do what you want them to do. Try to be as flexible as you can and build long term relationships which pay off in repeat business and referrals.

More on customer service in my book "90 Days to Success as a Small Business Owner"

No comments:

Post a Comment