Monday, April 9, 2012

The Robot Treatment

Most larger businesses train front line employees to follow a planned way of handling all customers. I call this the robot treatment which is annoying because every customer is not the same. Some want fast service and some want to know all the facts before they buy. It doesn't take much to identify each one and give them what they want but some companies won't allow it done that way. You either make one or both types of these customers unhappy about their experience.

I remember at one fast food place I was asked if I wanted fries (we have all heard that line) and shook my head no. The person behind the counter told me that they couldn't proceed with my order unless I answered verbally so she could hear me. How foolish is that to treat a customer who is paying to keep your business open. I was tempted to walk out but then would to drive to another place to get lunch. I should have written a letter to the management but never took the time to do it.

How many people feel this way (I know not everyone but enough to make a difference) and never let the management know about it? And would the management even care or change anything? In a smaller or smarter business you can solve this problem by talking to your customers and letting them tell you how they want to be served. Or you could just let them be unhappy and never come back. The choice is yours.

Barry has a presentation on The Customer Experience available for your business at www.idealetter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment