Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What You Wear Matters

I believe that what a business person wears reflects on the level of service that you can expect from them. I spent much of my life in Chicago and would never think of going to work in an office without a coat and tie. This was because I provided a professional business service to clients and customers and I wanted them to feel what they were paying was going to a business person who cared about his image. I was trained to dress one level above the customers or clients that I was serving so I would make the person(s) paying feel comfortable and assured of great value.

How would you feel if your doctor came into the examining room with dirty jeans and a t-shirt with a rip in it. Would that put a question in you mind about what kind of care and help you will receive? I probably would not buy insurance or financial services from someone wearing jeans and a polo shirt. Or a lady with shorts and no sleeve top on. I want to know that I'm dealing with a pro and they care about me as well as their appearance. I also feel that good grooming, no wild facial hair and pleasant odor is important.

If I came to an office to work in most of the Chicago with no sport coat or suit and jeans on I would probably be sent home to change. Think of the image you are giving your client or customer and if you don't care, you should not get their business. The same goes for retail and the staff that customer will see on their visit. They should be clean, neat and dressed well enoungh to make the person buying feel comfortable in their presence. Your staff should look as good as your products or services or I can assure you that you will not get all the sales that are possible.

Barry is a speaker on The Customer Experience and Marketing Ideas. www.idealetter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment