Thursday, July 10, 2014

Speaking for Free ?

I do a lot of local presentations at chamber events, Rotary clubs and many other business groups. These are great practice for me to try out new or added material and merge it into a current speech. It also helps me find out if a new story that is supposed to be funny gets any smiles or laughs and how to fit it into my presentation. By not going too long between speeches (of any kind) I can be fresher without long layoffs. For these groups I don't charge any speaking fee or expenses because I know they are not making any profit   from my presentation. It also gives me exposure to people who may hire me to speak at a larger event or company meeting. So these are win-win situations where everyone usually comes out ahead.

For bigger events or those that charge admission; conference fees, trade show/expo booth fees, company meetings or training I feel that I should be paid. I don't usually sell anything while speaking and try to give valuable and usuable content that will benefit the audience. My goal is to have them them leave my presentation with information that will increase their marketing efforts, provide better service or enhance their career. The event organizers are trying to make a profit so why shouldn't I be paid for my contribution. Too many speakers offer to speak without getting paid and that hurts the rest of the serious speakers who spend time putting a valuable presentation together. Event planners will not the get the results intended from non-paid speakers.

Barry is a speaker on marketing, customer satisfaction and building business relationships. www.idealetter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment