Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Before You Speak at an Event

When you are asked to be a speaker at a conference, convention, trade show or expo you will need to know something about the group you will be speaking to. When I am booked as a speaker I will spend some time asking the meeting planner or executive finding out what the purpose of my presentation will be. They may already know what I speak about but how can I customize it to make it relavant to the audience. I may ask what their industry or group concerns are, what they need to learn, what any other speakers will talk about and what NOT to say. I will also try to attend the sessions of speakers before me to be sure I don't repeat things they have said.

I will then (in the weeks before the event) add parts to my speech that will be of interest and help to that specific audience. I may search for a funny story that maybe only they would understand and keep their attention. If I'm doing a keynote I need to know what the most current news and happenings in their industry are and at least mention something about them. If they recently had a major sports team win or lose a championship and you mention it, they will know you did your homework. The more relavant you can be to the group the better cahnace they will accept your main message. If you are being paid to train and motivate the group you will be expected to know something about them to succeed.

Barry is a speaker at industry events and trade shows. www.idealetter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment