Friday, August 16, 2013

Keep Networking

I go to several different networking groups each week and only belong to one or two. You never know who you will meet that was not there before. When I see someone I don't know I immediately approach them, offer my business card and ask for theirs. I have over 1000 business cards from these meetings and I group them by the meeting I got them from. When I am speaking at a business meeting I send an email inviting them to attend, I like a bigger audience.

You may not get much new business until you attend meetings for a while and get known as an expert in your field. About two-thirds of the people I meet just try to push a sale on me rather than building a relationship. Those are the ones I probably won't buy from or send referrals. I always try to find out who the speaker is and attend the meetings with someone I want to learn from. At most meetings you can be a guest a few times before you must join and others you can come anytime you want and be a 'semi-member".

Don't say you don't have time to attend networking meeting because they are important to your business awareness and growth. There are meetings at different times for your changing schedule so find one or two that work for you and GO. When you find a group you like offer to speak at a future meeting on what you are an expert and offer useful ideas. You will soon be remembered and referrals will start coming. "People do business with people they like".

Barry is a speaker, author and business advisor www.idealetter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment